Ok, so the last few weeks, all your social media feed will be talking about Sarahah app! Within a short span of time, the app has gone viral, everyone’s social media feed/timeline is filled with #Sarahah posts. In the past, we have seen several apps which has gone viral within short period. Apps like Prisma, or even games like Pokémon Go, Angry birds, FlappyBird went viral within few days. FlappyBird, a simple game developed by young developer in Vietnam took the app store by storm. Launched in May 2013, the game hit the Appstore Top 10 by January 2014. But the success of the game came along with criticism and unable to cope with the criticism, the developer removed the game from the Appstore. Thus putting an end to the most talked game of 2013.
Viral apps are not new, but this time it’s not a game! So What is Sarahah app?
Sarahah in arabic means Honesty. Created by a Saudi Arabian programmer Zain al-Abidin Tawfiq, to gather honest feedbacks from co-workers in February 2017. Later he opened the app out for friends on Apple Appstore and Google playstore. Sarahah is an anonymous messaging app. You can send messages to anyone through the app even without sharing your identity.
What is Sarahah app?
As per the game developers, Sarahah helps people self-develop by receiving constructive anonymous feedback.
At work (as per Sarahah website)
- Enhance your areas of strength
- Strengthen Areas for Improvement
With Your Friends (as per Sarahah website)
- Improve your friendship by discovering your strengths and areas for improvement
- Let your friends be honest with you
You need to create a profile in Sarahah app. Anyone can visit your profile and leave messages anonymously. Messages are anonymous by default even if you’re logged in or not. The message receiver receives the message in his/her inbox and he/she can flag messages, delete them, reply or favorite them to find it later.
Internet stats firm Alexa says that the app is already a hit in countries like Egypt and Saudi Arabia. Even in India, as per App Annie stats, the app is number 1 app in the social networking category. (in Appstore)
But there are mixed review for the app in Google Playstore. As of August 16, 2017, there are 16,666 five-star ratings and 14,256 one star ratings. The overall rating for the app is 3.1 in the Google Playstore. The five-star and one star ratings proves that the app is not widely accepted. While going through the reviews, we can see that lot of people speaking about the anonymity feature while there are few who are getting lot of hateful messages.
How Sarahah app works?
- You need to browse to Sarahah.com to login or register. You can also download Sarahah app from Google Playstore or Apple Appstore.
- If you want to send message to anyone anonymously then Go to Search tab and type the person name, select the person whom do you want to send message.
- You can write your honest feedback and click on Send to send the message.
- The receiver receives the message and will show as received from anonymous person.
- If you want to check messages about you, then you need to login into your Sarahah Account. (Click on Register to create an account in Sarahah)
- Now click on My messages tab and you can view all the received messages.
The FAQ page available on Sarahah.com answers most of your questions! Below are the excerpts from the FAQ page of official Sarahah app.
Will Sarahah show the identity of senders?
- Sarahah won’t disclose the identity of the logged-in senders to users except with their consent.
Is Sarahah a hacker?!
- Sarahah doesn’t steal data but websites and apps impersonating Sarahah could do that
Can Sarahah visitors view my messages?
- They can’t as long as you don’t share your messages
Is there a Sarahah mobile app?
- Yes, the official Sarahah app is on Google Play and App Store
Can I respond to messages?
- You can’t respond to messages now. We are studying this option
Sarahah app has been downloaded by more than 10 million people all over the world till now. What makes Sarahah popular? The answer is obviously the anonymity. But is this the first app that is based on anonymity. Not at all. There are apps like Yik Yak, Secret, and Whisper already out there in the market which is in the same space. Yik Yak which was shut down earlier this year, allowed users to send messages anonymously. It was once valued more than $400 million.
The anonymous messaging apps are here to stay in one form or the another. People like anonymity and they want to make use of this feature. Either to give constructive feedback to their friends or to send hateful messages to those who hate them. Whether the Sarahah trend will stay or not, only time can tell us. But for the moment, enjoy this anonymity and give some feedback to your friends.
The messages received in Sarahah app can be shared with social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.
Have you used Sarahah app. Post your comments below on how do you think this messaging app will make a difference to you?
Appreciate your time and even more smileys if you can share the article.