IRCTC eWallet is a scheme under which user can deposit money in advance with IRCTC and can be used as payment option along with other payment options available on IRCTC for paying money at the time of booking tickets.
IRCTC eWallet advantages:
- Hassle free and secure transactions
- Precious booking time saved by eliminating payment approval cycle
- Benefit of saving Payment Gateway charges per ticket
- Manage account online and top up online
- Dependency on a specific bank is reduced, as when any of the provided banks go offline, you can still book tickets from your IRCTC eWallet account
Features of IRCTC eWallet:
- User Authentication: IRCTC eWallet users will be verified and authenticated through their PAN OR Aadhaar in an Online Verification Process.
- Secured Access: IRCTC offers secure booking through IRCTC eWallet by providing Transaction Password/ PIN Number that is required to be entered for every booking done through IRCTC eWallet.
- Complete History: User is provided with a separate link namely IRCTC eWallet that offers IRCTC eWallet Transaction history, IRCTC eWallet payment History & change transaction password options.
- Easy Refund: In case of ticket cancellation, the due refund will be credited to your IRCTC eWallet Account next day.
Can we transfer money from IRCTC eWallet to Bank?
NO. The money once transferred to IRCTC eWallet cannot be transferred back to the bank account. The amount will remain in your eWallet until it’s used through your IRCTC account. Unlike other eWallets, IRCTC eWallet can be used only for railway ticket booking.
Steps to register and book ticket through IRCTC eWallet:
- Login to IRCTC with your existing IRCTC user id and password.
- Click the “IRCTC eWallet Registration” link under IRCTC eWallet Section in the “Plan my travel” page.
- Complete Verification process by providing PAN OR Aadhaar and other details.
- Deposit one time registration fee of Rs.50/-(Excluding Service Tax) online with any of the available payment options.
- Membership fee and Redemption is subject to change at the discretion of IRCTC.
- Credit the IRCTC eWallet account with the minimum deposit of Rs.100/- and top up with the required booking amount. Maximum amount permitted in user’s account is Rs. 10,000.
- Pay ticket booking amount through IRCTC eWallet which is displayed as payment option along with other Banks.
Things to remember:
- One Time Registration Fee to register for IRCTC eWallet Service: Rs 50 + Service Tax (non-refundable)
- Transaction Charge: Rs 10 + Service Tax per transaction
- No cash refunds / No redemption allowed
- IRCTC eWallet balance can only be used for booking railway tickets
IRCTC eWallet is particularly useful when booking tatkal tickets. You don’t have to depend on your bank services and OTP SMS for booking tatkal tickets. But even IRCTC eWallet uses OTP to confirm the booking which might take some time to receive which will delay the tatkal ticket booking.
One major disadvantage of IRCTC eWallet is their non ability to transfer your money back to bank account from your eWallet. So think before you decide on the amount to be transferred to your IRCTC eWallet.