Have you ever faced a situation where you forgot to take your Aadhaar card while travelling in the train. Now you don’t have to worry about Aadhaar card. If you have a smartphone and if you have downloaded m-Aadhaar mobile app, it is enough to travel in Indian railways. m-Aadhaar is a mobile app launched by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on which a person can download his/her Aadhaar card. m-Aadhaar can be downloaded only on the mobile number to which your Aadhaar has been linked.
Last month, the ministry of Railways has decided to allow m-Aadhaar as proof of identity for travellers in any reserved class. To show his/her Aadhaar, a passenger has to open the app on their smartphone and enter the password.
The transcript of the railway ministry statement is given below.
“Ministry of Railways has decided to permit m- Aadhaar (Aadhaar card on mobile app namely m- Aadhaar launched by UIDAI) as one of the prescribed proofs of Identity for Rail Travel purpose in any reserved class. m- Aadhaar is a mobile app launched by UIDAI on which a person can download his/her Aadhaar Card. It can be done only on the mobile number to which Aadhaar has been linked. For showing Aadhaar, the person has to open the app and enter his/ her password to show the Aadhaar Card.
m- Aadhaar when shown by the passenger on his/her mobile after entering the password should be accepted as proof of identity for undertaking journey in any reserved class over Indian Railways. It is effective from 8th September 2017.”
What is m-Aadhaar mobile app and what all can I do with the app?
m-Aadhaar is the official mobile application developed by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to provide an interface to Aadhaar Number Holders to carry their demographic information viz. Name, Date of Birth, Gender & Address along with photograph as linked with their Aadhaar Number in smart phones.
Registered Mobile Number is essential to use m-Aadhaar app. In case your mobile number is not registered with Aadhaar visit the nearest Enrolment Centre/Mobile Update End Point. (Click here to get the nearest Enrollment centers)
Click here: To Update Aadhaar details online
1. Aadhaar Number Holder profile download – A convenient way to carry Aadhaar number with demographic details anytime, anywhere.
2. Biometric locking/unlocking – To secure biometric authentication by locking biometrics data. Once resident enables Biometric Locking system their biometric remains locked till the Aadhaar Holder chose to either Unlock it (which is temporary) or Disable the Locking system.
3. TOTP generation – Time-based One-Time Password is an automatically generated temporary password which can be used instead of SMS based OTP.
4. Update of profile – An updated view of Aadhaar profile data after successful completion of update request.
5. Sharing of QR code and eKYC data by Aadhaar Number holder – Share QR code and password protected eKYC data to retrieve accurate demographic information from it instead of manual entry.
In case if you are using the second feature mentioned above, Biometric Locking / Unlocking, don’t forget to unlock it before you go for Aadhaar card linking to bank account and mobile number. It is mandatory to link your Aadhaar card with your bank account and mobile number.
A user can add maximum 3 profiles in his/her device, all having same mobile number registered in their Aadhaar.
1. Application will ask for password as soon as it is opened as the first step. User should enter a password of length minimum 8 and maximum 12 characters.The password should contain at least 1 number, 1 alphabet, 1 special character ( @,#,&,%,*,!,-,(,) ) and 1 alphabet in capital e.g. Sharma@123
2. Aadhaar profile can be downloaded only on mobile devices having registered mobile number (Registered mobile number is the mobile number linked with your Aadhaar)
3. Please do not navigate from application if it is waiting for SMS. mAadhaar will automatically read the OTP once it is received.
4. There is no provision to manually enter the OTP anywhere in mAadhaar. This is a security feature.
5. mAadhaar needs to connect and download data from UIDAI. So ensure that internet connectivity is available on your phone.
6. One Aadhaar profile can be active on only one device at a time. If you create profile on another device by inserting the sim in another device, the previous profile would become inactive and would be deleted from older device whenever any operation is attempted from that device.
7. If members of your family have the same mobile number registered as you in their Aadhaar, you can add their profile in your device. A user can add maximum 3 profiles in his/her device, all having same mobile number registered in their Aadhaar.
In case of any issue or query, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not hold or have any information regarding any Aadhaar service. You can reach directly to UIDAI for any queries.
You can download the official UIDAI m-Aadhaar app from Google Playstore. Click here to get your m-Aadhaar mobile app.
There are lot of fake mobile apps claiming for Aadhaar details. Don’t fall for their trap and ensure that you are downloading the official app. The official Aadhaar app is developed and maintained by UIDAI and in Google playstore, you can find the app in the below format.
UIDAI website link – https://uidai.gov.in/