As the year draws to a close, Google announced Google Play’s most globally popular apps, games, music, movies, TV shows and books in 2017. And specifically in India, we bring you the list of top apps, games, movies, books and music.
Nintendo’s “Super Mario Run” was the most downloaded new game of the year, but not all bubbles were burst, as “Bubble Witch 3 Saga” was closely behind at number two. “Messenger Lite” was the most downloaded new app with fans who love staying in touch social media.
On the home front, ‘LIKE – Magic Special Effect Video Editor’ and ‘Selfie Camera – Beauty Camera & Photo Editor’ were top trending apps, proving India’s continued love for selfies, pouts and fun video editing. But epic gameplay ruled the roost in the genre, with the locally developed ‘Baahubali: The Game’ taking the title of the most popular game of the year, even trumping international tiles like WWE Champions, Super Mario Run, and Pokémon Duel. Indian authors swept the top 5 list of books with memoirs from Karan Johar, Rishi Kapoor, and Raghuram G. Rajan dominating the majority of the slots. And with Music being added this year, the drum-laden ‘Saahore Baahubali’ by M.M. Keeravaani was the most streamed song followed by the immensely hummable ‘Ik Vaari Aa’ from Arijit Singh.
Check out Google Play’s top lists for the most popular content in 2017 below. For complete local lists, visit Google Play. You can also discover the most popular lists around the world and editors’ choices on the Best of 2017 section of the Play Store.
GOOGLE PLAY’S GLOBAL BEST OF 2017 LISTS
Best app of 2017
Best game of 2017
TOP FIVE STREAMED SONGS OF 2017
- HUMBLE. by Kendrick Lamar
- Shape of You by Ed Sheeran
- DNA. by Kendrick Lamar
- Mask Off by Future
- Body Like A Back Road by Sam Hunt
TOP FIVE MOVIES OF 2017
TOP FIVE TV SHOWS OF 2017
TOP 5 BOOKS of 2017
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- It by Stephen King
- The Battlemage by Taran Matharu
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
GOOGLE PLAY’S INDIA BEST OF 2017 LISTS
MOST POPULAR APPS OF 2017
- LIKE – Magic Special Effect Video Editor
- Messenger Lite: Free Calls & Messages
- Selfie Camera – Beauty Camera & Photo Editor
- Paytm Mall: Online Shopping
MOST POPULAR GAMES OF 2017
TOP BOOKS OF 2017
- An Unsuitable Boy, by Karan Johar
- India 2017, by New Media Wing
- Khullam Khulla: Rishi Kapoor Uncensored, by Rishi Kapoor
- I Do What I Do, by Raghuram G. Rajan
- Adiyogi: The Source of Yoga, by Sadhguru
TOP MOVIES OF 2017
MOST STREAMED SONGS OF 2017
- Saahore Baahubali, by M.M. Keeravaani
- Ik Vaari Aa, by Arijit Singh
- Mercy, by Badshah
- Main Tera Boyfriend, by Arijit Singh
- Cheez Badi, by Neha Kakkar
Talking about India’s favorites first, the Photo Editor app was the most popular this year. This also suggests how the Indian audience is dominated by the selfie trend. In fact, even globally the photo editing app remains the most popular. The app has now more than 10 million to 50 million installs. It is interesting to note, that in 2016 as well, it was a photo editing app that leaded the popular app list among Indians, BeautyPlus Me – Perfect Camera.
Second in the popular app list is the Messenger Lite app, which was launched in July this year in India, which has between 50 million to 100 million installs in total. Third in line is another photo editing app, called Selfie Camera. Next among the most popular is ALTBalaji, which is a subscription-based Video-on-Demand app, followed by the Paytm Mall app.
Which of these apps or movies or music made it to your list of google play best of 2017.
Post your comments below and let us know your choice.