Both Airtel and Jio are fighting it out in all possible ways. Initially if it was the data and call tariff plans, now it’s all about security. Airtel has launched Airtel Secure to take on JioSecurity, but with much better features. Airtel Secure and JioSecurity, both protects your phone from malware attacks and theft along with lots of other features.
Lets start with JioSecurity app, which is mainly positioned as an antivirus app for phones.
JioSecurity is exclusively available for Jio sim users. It identifies dangerous websites and scans downloaded apps, app updates, and SD memory cards to detect and eliminate threats that are designed to steal your information. Jio Security provides proactive virus protection against risky apps that could leak your personal information and content, excessively use battery and data and have intrusive behaviour to slow your device.
Plus, it can help you get back your mobile device if it ever goes missing. It lets you send a text to your device that sets off a “scream” alarm, so you can find it fast if you misplace it. And if your mobile device is lost or stolen, you can remotely lock and locate it with a text or through any Web browser—and even erase your stuff, if necessary.
JioSecurity comes with a feature where 1 JioSecurity subscription can protect up to 10 mobile devices. The primary device needs to have a Jio SIM, with valid Jio ID and the rest of the devices need not be using Jio network.
You can install JioSecurity from Google Playstore.
Features of JioSecurity:
- App scanning for malware and other threats
- Sneak Peak – Remotely take a picture in case of phone theft
- Selective data deletion from lost or stolen device
- Remotely lock your phone when lost
- Comprehensive Privacy report card for all your apps
- Scan apps before downloading
- Block unwanted calls and SMS
- Easy sync-up of contact information across your Android and iOS devices
JioSecurity has tied up with Norton for antivirus and app advisor features. JioSecurity services are free of cost.
On the other hand, Airtel Secure is providing much more benefits such as mobile repair service, cloud backup etc. Airtel Secure is available to all Airtel prepaid and postpaid users in India. The services can be availed upon in two forms – Rs. 49 and Rs. 79. Airtel determines the subscription charges based on the device you use and the plan will be valid for one month.
Airtel has partnered with OneAssist for mobile repairs in case of accidental damages. Either Airtel or OneAssist agent will pick up the device from your doorstep once you raise a claim. A customer can apply a maximum of two claims with each Airtel Secure subscription. 60% of the phone value will be covered under damages in case of accidental or liquid damages. (Rest of the damages are not covered)
Antivirus along with malware, theft and web protection is provided by Norton. The customer needs to install Norton application in your phone to avail these services. Airtel is also providing cloud backup with 2GB storage using Airtel backup app.
Features of Airtel Secure:
- Anti-malware Protection – Detects and removes malware and other such threats
- App Advisor – Highlights privacy risks, intrusive behavior, excessive battery drain and excess data consumption on your phone
- Web Protection – Safeguards against phishing and malicious web sites browsed via Wi‐Fi or carrier networks Edge, 3G, 4G etc
- Spam Block – Blocks Call/SMS from specific numbers
- Anti-Theft Security – Remotely locate, lock, scream, and wipe the lost or stolen device through an SMS or a Web portal
- Contacts Backup – Recover your contacts if you lose your device or accidentally delete them
- Secure handset against damage – Mobile repairs up to 60% of your phone value in case of accidental or liquid damage
- 2GB cloud storage to back up all your important handset data.
Clearly Airtel Secure scores on the mobile repair and cloud storage features but at a premium charge which JioSecurity is not asking for at the moment. Currently both these apps have bundled lot of standalone apps to a single app. Apps like truecaller, kaspersky etc are standalone apps for mobile security and to block spam calls/sms. So from a user perspective, there is an advantage that we don’t need to so many applications, but both Airtel and Jio Security apps will provide the bundled package. This will help the user in reducing the space that an app takes in mobile phone along with increased battery backup.
What do you think about these security apps by Airtel and Jio. Which one is better and suited for your needs. Provide your comments below and tell us your experience.