Spotify took more than a year to launch in India. But it took less than a week to sign up 1 million users post its launch. These numbers are across its free and premium services. The Swedish company has not mentioned how many of those new users were paying subscribers rather than users of Spotify India’s free ad-based service.
During the launch, Spotify pointed out their excitement of launching the services in the world’s second most populous country (over 1.3bn people) and said Spotify is making its way to the fastest growing market globally for mobile apps. The number of active internet users in India is estimated at over 400m, as mobile internet and smartphones become faster and more affordable.
Spotify’s India launch follows the company’s recent expansion across MENA and South East Asia, bringing the total number of Spotify markets to 79 with 207m users, including 96m subscribers, globally.
Spotify comes to India offering the best listening experience in local and international music (40m songs), with the Spotify app available to download for free or with an upgrade to Spotify Premium for only INR 119 per month.
Exclusive features for Spotify India
The company also launched some exclusive features for India considering the Indian music and music lovers taste.
- Multi-language music recommendations: With many Indians speaking several local languages, Spotify’s music recommendation engine can now be tuned to Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu. Indian users can select their preferred language(s) to receive tailored Daily Mix, Home, Radio, Search results and recommendations.
- Spotify Free with total control: For the first time ever on Spotify Free, smartphone users can play every song on demand.
- Playlists made for India: Expertly curated and regularly updated by our team of Indian music experts, new playlists include Indiestan, Rap91, Namaste Love, Punjabi101, Bollywood Butter, Top Hits in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, and Punjabi. These sit alongside our celebrated international playlists including Mint, RapCaviar, Viva Latino and the This is… artist compilations. Add billions of creator and fan-built playlists to the mix and Spotify has a playlist for any mood or moment.
- Spotify goes to the movies: Introducing Starring…, a series of playlists featuring the best music from the most popular Bollywood, Tollywood, Kollywood, and Punjabi actors. Spotify’s recommendations will also include songs from India’s favorite movies and actors.
- City playlists: Find out what’s hot in the city, with new algorithmic playlists tracking what’s trending in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, and Chennai.
To enjoy music the way you want it, download the Spotify app today via the Android or iOS app store or by heading to www.spotify.com/free.
Spotify India’s major competitors are Gaana and JioSaavn along with their global competitors like Amazon, Google, and Apple. Gaana, backed by Chinese tech giant Tencent, reportedly has over 80 million users in India, while JioSaavn has access to more than 250 million users of massive Jio mobile network.
Spotify has 207 million users globally, which includes 96 million Spotify Premium subscribers, across 79 markets.